About Me

My photo
I love art! I am a self-taught artist living in Maryland. I am one of the many artists who spent a childhood doing art and then it got pushed to the back burner as life took over. I am not happy when my art is on the back burner! Things have changed! I am extremely happy to say that as of this writing January 2016, I am a full-time artist. I am living my dream! I work mostly in pastels and colored pencil, but also plan to revisit some of my old favorites -- charcoal and ink. Maybe I'll even combine some of my favorite mediums or try some new ones. I've got big plans! I hope that you'll follow along on my art adventure!

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Sweet Dreams


Well, despite my best intentions, it has been over 2 weeks since I posted anything.  Some minor household catastrophes and the "flu" took care of that.  It didn't stop me from thinking about art though!  I came to two realizations -- one is that while I'm happy whenever I'm doing art of any kind,  my art is usually pretty true to life and somewhat tightly rendered, while what attracts me while looking at other's work is not necessarily true to life, exact replicas, etc.  I like things that are sometimes a little "quirky", sometimes work that has more of an  illustration quality than actually a painting.  I also realized that I missed plain old drawing.  My start in art many years ago was drawing -- charcoal, pencil, ink.  I think "Sweet Dreams" is a culmination of those two thoughts.  It is not what I (or anyone else, for that matter) expects from me, but I think I like it and I know I had fun doing it!  I know, I know, I always say that!  Anyway, she is 7x10 inches on archival watercolor paper, done in charcoal and pastel.  She's going to my shop on Etsy. 

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I'm visiting from the art blog hop, and I think "Sweet Dreams" is lovely! http://ardentreflections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arleen: I also am connecting to you through the Art Blog Hop. I love your work and am amazed that you are self-taught. Best wishes, KCW
    http://kennedycreativeworks.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete